Brown Butter Oysters with Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
This dish is a luscious experience combining the opulence and finesse of mineral-rich oysters with the rich, fatty, nutty qualities of butter and cheese. Pedernales Cellars Viognier Reserve pairs perfectly. It has a clarity of peach fruit and florals that benefits from the light French oak aging, a creamy mouthfeel and toasty-nutty aromas that harmonize with similar characteristics in the dish.
For 6 people ()
Dressing / Vinaigrette
- 1 Texas extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large shallots, chopped
- 3 dried chiles de árbol
- 1 1/2 -inch section fresh ginger root, peeled, thinly sliced and smashed
- 1 cup(s) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup(s) real maple syrup
- 8 cup(s) chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1/3 cup(s) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) dry sherry
- 5 medium-size red beets, washed and trimmed
- 5 medium-size golden beets, washed and trimmed
- 1/3 cup(s) red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) snipped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup(s) roasting liquid from cooked beets
- 1 1/2 cup(s) Texas extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Mixed romaine, raddicchio, butter lettuce and arugula
- 4 ounce(s) plain, miled goat cheese, shaped into small rounds using a melon baller
- 5 slices artisan peppered bacon, cooked until crisp then drained and crumbled
- 12 shucked Texas Gulf oysters and their liquor
- 3/4 cup(s) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon(s) Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) minced lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) heaping, minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon(s) grated Romano cheese
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
Brown Butter Oysters with Beet and Goat Cheese Salad Directions
- Preheat the oven to 375° and heat a glaze of olive oil in a large braising pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots, chilies and sliced ginger root until the ginger is browned—about 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, maple syrup, chicken stock, brown sugar, sherry and beets and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and roast in the preheated oven until beets are soft—about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside until cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, drain them—reserving ²/³ cup of the roasting liquid. Strain the reserved liquid and set aside. Peel the beets, cut them into bite-size pieces then refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, combine the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, thyme, chives, parsley, mustard and reserved roasting liquid in the work bowl of a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth. With the machine running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until all has been added. Blend an additional 15 to 20 seconds to form a strong emulsion. Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette until ready to use. Shake vigorously before using.
- After the beets are prepared and the salad dressing is made, preheat the broiler and position an oven rack 6 inches below the heat source. Arrange 12 metal or porcelain Chinese soup spoons on a baking sheet and place one oyster in each spoon along with a little of the oyster liquor. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, hot sauce, lemon zest, parsley and salt in a small saucepan and cook to melt the butter. Stir in the bread crumbs and cheese—blending well. Divide the buttery crumb mixture between the oysters, topping each with a little pile. Place the baking sheet under the preheated broiler and cook for 4 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and bubbly.
- To assemble the dish, combine the greens and toss to blend well. Arrange the greens in the center of a large platter and drizzle with the roasted beet vinaigrette. Scatter pieces of roasted beets, balls of the goat cheese and bits of the crumbled bacon on top of the salad. Place the oysters in a circle around the salad. Serve with small tongs.